Benefits of a Content Management System Website
by Bill Mitchell, Chief Operating Officer, RezStream
It used to be standard practice for designers to create “static websites” by using WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) programs, such as Microsoft’s Front Page and Adobe Dreamweaver. While these applications have their advantages, they add tons of unnecessary HTML code to the website, which makes it more difficult for search engine spiders to crawl and index. In addition, these traditional style websites are difficult to edit and upgrade.
Another option, and one of the hottest new trends in website design, is the growth and adoption of content management system (CMS) websites. Word Press, Expression Engine, and Drupel programs now make it possible to construct more sophisticated websites that are far more user-friendly ones.
CMS websites are essentially database driven with the ability to far surpass the functionality of static websites. CMS websites allow users to add many advanced level features such as blogs, custom photo galleries, and video pages, without having to comprehend complicated website programming. Once a CMS website is built by a professional website design firm, even a novice, with minimal training, can manage their own website.
Another CMS website trademark is that its entire look and feel can be altered by changing the home page and interior page templates. Even a CMS website containing 500 pages can be upgraded virtually overnight!
While CMS websites typically cost more to build than static websites, they quickly justify their expense in ongoing savings by in-house website changes and management as well as the versatility of utilizing numerous plug-in modules. The initial investment for a CMS website starts at $7,500 to $10,000.
Another marketing benefit of CMS websites is that they can collect, store, and manage email lists. CMS websites are also more search engine friendly than static websites.
Additional CMS website benefits:
- New pages can be added instantly, which allows Google to index new content more often.
- Changes to website design are easier; save big on ongoing website changes.
- Multiple blogs can be added and managed at no additional cost (not the case with static websites); these blogs have automatic search engine pinging mechanisms, which makes them more SEO friendly.
- Ability to integrate your own videos: engage your customers with fresh and timely film footage.
- Global website search capability allows consumers to search entire site for exactly what they need!
- Search engine friendly: easier to insert search engine optimization elements and also create SEO friendly page extensions.
Conclusion: CMS websites are pushing the envelope for more creative, innovative and advanced search engine friendly websites. All businesses, from small to large, can reap the multitude of benefits from a content management system website.
About the Author: Bill Mitchell is the Chief Operating Officer for RezStream, located in Denver, Colorado. RezStream sells reservation software, online reservation booking engine services, Global Distribution System services, custom website designs, and Internet marketing plans to hotels and independent inns.