Over the years, social media and specifically Facebook and Instagram, have become a major source in providing future travelers with inspiration on where they want to travel next. According to Facebook, 68% of millennials say they found their ideas for their most recent trip through Facebook with a similar influence on Instagram.
Facebook has recognized this shift and has now introduced trip consideration. Separate from its dynamic ads for travel, trip consideration is a way to catch travelers earlier in their trip planning process. Christine Warner, head of travel for Facebook, says that roughly 50% of travelers use their mobile device first when starting the trip planning process. Even more staggering, on average they visit 56 travel-related searches over 43 days before booking.
Before implementing this feature in your Facebook strategy, read below to understand what trip consideration is, how you can use it, and why it might be beneficial to your business.
What is Trip Consideration?
As an advertising feature, trip consideration is designed to let advertisers reach the right people at the right time during their trip planning process. More specifically, this feature is meant to capture those who have shown an intent to travel but have not yet decided where to go.
How does it work?
Within the Facebook Ad Manager, you will be able to select the trip consideration feature, as an optimization option under the conversion campaign type. This selection prioritizes your ads to reach those who have started to research their next trip. It will prioritize your ad to reach anyone who is planning a trip while allowing you to still target your identified demographic. To enable trip consideration, you must have Facebook pixel implemented.
How should you use Trip Consideration?
- Grab users early on with enticing visuals about your property. Trip consideration lets you choose images you want to show in your ad.
- Use it to provide useful and relevant information regarding your location.
- Create an emotional connection by telling a story about your property.
- As an optimized strategy for targeting potential customers, consider using trip consideration to capture the traveler at the beginning of the purchase funnel, then retarget them with a dynamic ad later in the purchase funnel.
Why lodging owners should use Trip Consideration:
- Target potential customers at the right place and time.
- Spark early engagement in the trip planning process.
- Help improves conversion rates.
- Be top-of-mind to potential customers.
Trip consideration offers you as a property owner, the potential to grab your future customer early in the decision-making process. With an emotionally captive audience, you gain their attention with your property’s features and do not have to battle it out on price when the traveler is ready to make a purchase.