What is jQuery?
Why is jQuery so great?
Benefits of using jQuery:
- Advantage of an abundance of plug-ins that make creating special “Flash-like” effects simple and fast for website developers; backed by a large, helpful support community to quickly remedy any bug issues.
- Easy implementation for web developers in comparison to other applications.
- Detailed documentation and useful examples for using jQuery on its website.
- jQuery is free, open source software.
- Straightforward to produce powerful and dynamic websites.
- Simplifies AJAX.
- Commands can be “chained” so that the result of one command can then control others.
- Has a “built-in” set of animation applications that can also be used as commands.
- Makes basic web pages become really interesting interactive pages with minimal keystrokes.
- Large software companies, like Microsoft, supports using jQuery in their applications, such as Visual Studio, as evidence of their support of jQuery’s superior product.
- jQuery can perform all of the fancy animations and transitions as Flash, but in a cleaner, simpler, and more SEO friendly way.
How does jQuery work?
tag within a page that has the CSS class of “tick,” and then animate it to slowly scroll, like you would see in a news ticker. jQuery can also find a HTML element with a specified CSS identification class, and then retrieve every other sub-element within it and reset the elements to have another specified CSS class. This could result in alternating styles for HTML elements, like table rows, to alternate the background color of each row.
Examples of jQuery effects and animations:
jQuery effects and animations are called upon when a user interacts with a HTML element, either by mouse clicking on the element, hovering over it, pausing on it, etc. These are some of the effects and animations jQuery can utilize:
- Scroll, fade in, fade out, fade to, zoom, drawer
- Show, hide toggle
- Slide up, slide down, slide toggle
- Stop, queue
- Load, resize, scroll, drag
Examples of jQuery usage:
Web developers use jQuery to make web pages more exciting, interactive, cleaner, and more user friendly. These are some of the examples of basic jQuery featured plug-ins:
- Photo slideshows
- Photo galleries
- Manipulating images by cropping and resizing
- Tabbed content
- Form validation
- Scrolling or sliding text, for example, news tickers
- Accordion effects
- Tool tips
- Roll-over effects and animations
- Interactive maps
- Fancy menus and navigations
- Advanced animations
- Small WYSIWYG editors
- Music and video players
- Background image animations
There really is so much to say about the benefits of using jQuery and making web pages more interactive and exciting for user experience. The basic advantages alone show us that jQuery is beneficial to search engine optimization, faster loading web pages, cross-browser compatibility, user experience, and that it’s typically easy for web developers to implement. jQuery is a wonderful tool that web developers can now utilize to add a bit of excitement to your website without compromise!