Looking for ways to grow your revenue or reach new travelers in 2018? It might be time to add packages to your property’s offerings. Many of today’s travelers want to make their travel arrangements as easily as possible and many OTAs are offering convenient services like hotel and flight bundles or hotel and car packages. Now, you probably won’t be able to offer that, but you can create one-of-a-kind experiences at your property by bundling services or partnering with local businesses.
You might be asking if it’s worth the effort in putting these packages together and the data speaks for itself:
- A bump in ADR: A recent study found that in the UK, package stays had a 20% higher ADR than standalone stays.
- Fewer cancellations: When booking a package, fewer travelers cancelled their plans or would opt to buy insurance to cover their investment in the offer.
- Longer stays: Package bookers often stay twice the amount of time a standalone booker stays and they book packages in advance, giving you a chance to upsell them prior to their stay.
What type of packages are guests looking for? Well, that depends on your property and your region. You can create packages that are targeted to your typical guest or are themed around the destination. Here are some basic package ideas to get you started:
- Romance package: Bundle a room and bottle of wine or spa service for this type of package.
- Girls’ getaway: Offer a discounted rate on your rooms and a complimentary service or work with a local business to coordinate an activity for your guests.
- Babymoon package: Babymoons have grown in popularity in the last few years and you can offer discounts, spa services (if prenatal services are available), or dining gift cards for the couple to celebrate their upcoming new addition.
- Dog package: If you’re a dog-friendly property, you can add your pet fee into a package and in turn your guest could get a dog toy, biscuit, water bowl, or bed.
- Activity-based package: Does your region get covered in snow each year? Offer guests who book this package complimentary snowshoes or a gift card to a local outfitter that does guided snowshoe hikes. Or, you could suggest the activity and provide them with snacks, branded water bottles, a backpack, or something they can use during the activity or when they return to their room.
- Discount package: This is more of a promotion but can be advertised as a package, where you offer a larger discount on a multi-night midweek stay to fill your need periods.
- BOGO: Another promotion/package option is to have a BOGO deal where they book their stay now and at check-in get a gift certificate of a certain amount that’s good toward their next stay.